VE3SQB Antenna Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
looking for a limited space multi band hf antenna to build

What I have to work with is I live in a 2nd floor apt, of a 2 story apt building. No outside antennas allowed on the roof other then Dish Network and Direct tv antennas. I can however put on my open air (no roof over it)balcony any kind of a free standing antenna, as long as it isn't bolted, screwed or otherwise mounted to the balcony. The balcony is about 11' long and 5' wide. I am not very good at math in terms of designing an antenna. But I can follow detailed plains and pictures of an antenna that someone else designs and I do the building. It also has to be relatively cheap to build because I live on a fixed income from the Gov. SSDI disability. I was thinking of using a 5gl bucket. Stick a short metal post in the middle and fill the bucket with concrete. I think that should make a good support for the antenna.

Steve

Re: looking for a limited space multi band hf antenna to build

Hi Steve
I operated a few times using a simple low cost Chinese fishing rod of approx 6 meters with a AWG 26 or so wire attached to it. You can extend the fishing rod as long as required, and i f you need more length to reach a quarter or half wave, simply hang the excess wire from the top vertically down. You can stick the fishing rod vertically up or horizontally from your balcony. They are super lightweight and low cost, so no concrete is required. A footage for a sun screen or so or a simple clamp to the balcony will serve fine. And, if they by accident fall off, no harm can be done by these lightweight structures and the antenna wire keeps it from falling all the way down. When ready, just pull the fishing rod in and store it
The only thing is that you need a ground, I used a clamp for holding things together when you are gluing wood etc. and did clamp the shield of the coax directly to the balcony. No bolts or whatsoever. Or use a stainless steel hose clamp.
When you make the wire 1/4 wave, it matches in most case quite well and no tuner is required.
I operated it on 80 with 9 meters of thin wire and used a simple air-coil and a variable capacitor as a parallel circuit to resonate the antenna when the antenna was connected at the top and the ground (coax shield an balcony) was connected at the bottom of the resonance circuit. A link of approx 4 turns was used to couple the circuit to the coax while inserting the ling more or less in order to match
It worked quite well for me and a few friends while living in an Hotel, very low cost
Kind regards
Nico