Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My 3 year olds behaviour

Hi,
Yes, maybe your suspicions are right, but it is very early days. Your child is only 3. The behaviour he is showing could indicate different issues. You said he is learning to share.... well that's good for a 3 year old. Many children are hesitant to try new things. That could be personality. My youngest hated parties when she was this age.... but now at 10 she loves them. My youngest remembered everything.... she was just very able.
I suggest you keep an open mind.... My middle child showed symptoms of something when he was pre-school. We thought it might be adhd, but after talking with his Montesorri supervisor discounted that. In the end we realised he has dyspraxia.... So just keep an open mind. Talk to be people who care for him (pre-school teachers).... read up on things and wait and see.
A word of warning- my son went to 2 pre-school settings. One thought he was just a 'normal' boy.... the other thought about our concerns and said 'No- it's not adhd- he can concentrate on things he want to'. She set us to thinking about dyspraxia and she was right in the end......

God luck....

Re: Re: My 3 year olds behaviour

My daughter also has apergers and you describe her behavior at that age. But be careful, you could be seeing things into his behavior because you live with it through his dad so you are more aware of it than other parents might be. You could say his not eating at grandmas, for instance, is due to him not liking having to share the attention and thats a typical way for a young child to ensure it stays on them. Individually all your concerns could have simple answers like that. Agree with Nicki (as usual!), talk to other people who care for him and see what they think, thats usually a good guide as to whether we're reading too much into something or not.

Re: Re: My 3 year olds behaviour

Thank you Nicki and Ellie

I will keep an open mind, observe carefully and talk to his teachers.

I guess this is not something that can be rushed, time will tell. It would be nice to know how his mind works so that i could help him enjoy life to the max!

Thank you.
Faiza