Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 8 yr old struggling sociably at school

It is really hard when your children have friendship issues.... My daughter was a bit of a loner until she was in Yr 6. She is now in Yr 9 and has a lovely group of friends around her... who are all I could ever want as my daughter's friends. I just want you to know that it won't necessarily always be the same , that it's your daughter being left out.
My daughter did quite a lot of out of school activities and she did make some friends there, which helped her confidence. Maybe your daughter could do some activities where she'll meet children that don't go to her school?
The other thing that I learned was that I mustn't make too big a deal of it. She was feeding off my fears... I constantly asked her 'Who did you play with?' and she got really fed up with me... she didn't need me worrying about it too. Then she worried about me worrying about her....
Keep on loving her, discuss with her different ways of reacting to others (so she doesn't seem too needy). Encourage her to meet other non-school children.... and try not to worry.... My daughter really isn't the loner she used to be....

Re: 8 yr old struggling sociably at school

Hello there, thank you........... I have realised am probably just as concerned as her and I think she gets fed up with me, thank you for the advice it makes me feel better, it's just horrible to think of her as unhappy!!!!!!!

xxxx

Re: Re: 8 yr old struggling sociably at school

Absolutely agree with Nicki and also have a child who's been there and come out of the other side of it.

Be proud of her for not falling into the all too easy trap of being as mean as these other girls just to fit in. My daughter went through this at a similar age and is now nearly 11 and has a very nice group of friends...a small group but so much nicer than the little madams who tried to demoralise her.