Dharma2Grace Discussion

Please feel free to join the message forum discussions.

Dharma2Grace Discussion
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: fire

Uncertain Buddhist,

I do sympathize with those monks. The problem is that their hearts are bitter and their intention is to revenge by horrifying their enemy, which, as Dr. Corduan said, may not work. Recently I read a biography of Dietrich Bonhoeffer who was a German theologian in Hitler's time. He was involved in the conspiracy to assassinate Hitler and was prisoned and hanged. I believe his pain and suffering were no less than those monks'. But his eyes were fixed on his God. Here is a short message he wrote.
" Who stands fast? Only the man whose final standard is not his reason, his principles, his conscience, his freedom, or his virtue, but who is ready to sacrifice all these when he is called to obedient and responsible action in faith and in exclusive allegiance to God....". This attitude of life gave him complete peace when he was being executed, witnessed by the doctor who was there at that time. Understandably there was no fear, hatred, or revenge in his view of death. "Fundamentally we feel that we really belong to death already, and that every day is a miracle. It would probably not be true to say that we welcome death.....We still love life, but I do not think that death can take us by surprise now. ...IT IS WE OURSELVES, AND NOT OUTWARD CIRCUMSTANCES, WHO MAKE DEATH WHAT IT CAN BE, A DEATH FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY ACCEPTED."
This is the death I pray by God's grace and mercy and I pray God give you peace on your way of searching wisdom.