Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Young Teenagers and Cannabis

Hello all,

First time on this site but I'm desperate for some advice and you're my first port of call!!! I have a 14 year old son who hates smoking with a vengence (to the extent that he tells me he's allergic to it!!!) but a couple of weeks ago I found some tobacco, papers, filters and a small 'dice' pipe in his room. When I confronted him about it he insisted that he just wanted to try it and that it was only tobacco (I suggested that such pipes were usually used for soft drugs) and that, now he'd tried it, and hated it, he'd never do it again, We had a long (adult) chat about the pro's and con's and about not being a follower of other boys at school etc. etc. and I thought that was the end of it.

Until I came across a text on his new phone in which he asked his friend if he'd tried 'weed' yet - and they responded that they had. I didn't get to see the rest of the conversation as he has now locked and passworded his phone. He doesn't know that I saw the message.

Am I right to be concerned or am I being paranoid? If the former - how do I handle it? Any help would be really, really appreciated!!!! In all other ways he is a really pleasant, happy boy and I really never expected to have these problems with him at such a young age. Thankyou for listening and I hope you can help!!!