Practical Parenting Advice Online Parenting Course

Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 year olds mother incarcerated, having trouble with his behavior.

My 7 year old step son is having behavioral problems. His mother went to prison in December, and will be there for 3 years. The only contact he has with her is writing letters..and he doesn't really do much of that because he doesn't want to. We don't think it is a good idea to take him to visit her in prison and then have to leave her and then he has to be upset. In the past 3 months he has started peeing in his pants. He doesn't wet the bed, he will wake up in the middle of the night if he has to go. So I'm pretty sure it isn't a medical problem. He will do it, and I will smell it or see it on him, and ask him about it and he will lie. He will lie until he can no longer lie, then I ask him "Why didn't you tell me, and why did you lie when I asked you?" And he says "I didn't want to be in trouble." I've asked him why he does it. Sometimes he says "Because I'm having too much fun and don't want to miss out on anything" and other times he says "I miss my mom". But I just don't know what to do about it. I'm taking him to the doctor this week to make sure it's not medical. But I'm quite certain it is something psychological, and probably has something to do with his mother being gone, and having to come live with his father full time. He has everything he could ever want, we give him TONS of attention, love and affection. We have tried many forms of punishment, sitting down and talking about it, everything! I just need some adivce!! HELP!