Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
wants milk in bed

I have a son aged 4 and feel really bad as weve been doing things the wrong way round in our house. Weve always got him ready for bed then brushed teeth and then he climbs into bed for a story (with some milk!!) He was having his milk from a bottle until about two months ago and after a trip to the dentist who said he needs to stop using a bottle and dummy(!- but just at bedtime). I took away the bottle and he now uses a lided cup. He seemed to accept this reasonably okay. Three nights ago I decided we needed to change his routine so that the last thing he does at night is brush his teeth. Weve had screaming, kicking, sobbing etc. I feel bad as weve set this up ourselves. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: wants milk in bed

If a bedtime routine works, and doesn't have consequences (like rotten teeth or needing to get up in the night for a wee) then stick with it. I've always given my kids a cup of milk after they've got into bed, I can't see a problem with it and I've never heard of milk causing dental problems.

Are you sure your dentist understood it was milk you were giving him and not juice? Usually the best thing to do with professional advice is listen to it, and pick out the bits that suit you and your child. If giving him milk when he's got into bed is what feels naturally right for you to do, then do it.

I'd go back to it, some battles aren't worth it but if you do feel you need to stick this one out, it'll just be a case of time and him running out of steam.

Re: wants milk in bed

The Dentist has advised against having milk last thing at night because there are sugars naturally in milk, which can cause decay. We always gave milk last thing at night but have had to make a few changes, like you. Could you try a beaker of milk downstairs, make it more grown up for him. Then use the lided cup with water in? Not sure it will help, but stick with it, its the right thing to do for his little teeth!