Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Aggressive 14 year old son

I have a 14 year old son who has really pushed me to wits end.

He has no respect for any one apart from my ex-husband (his father) and doesn't care what he says or does infront of anyone at all. It has gotten to the stage where I can't take him out anywhere for fear for his outbursts.

He's constantly rude, has gotten to the stage of swearing all the time, argues with everything I say or ask of him, will not do anything that I ask him to do, if I threaten punishments he says he doesn't care and I do actually believe him as he's been for weeks with no TV, Computer etc and just lies in his bed.

When he wants to he can be a really loving boy but those moments are rapidly becoming few & far between! There is simply no reasoning with him.

Any suggestions on how to handle this??

Re: Aggressive 14 year old son

hmm. this sounds like something isnt right. maybe its a combination of puberty and feeling the need for someone to show him how to be a man and his dad not being there.

as for not being able to take him out because of his outbursts, maybe leave him at home when you go out.

maybe that way he will get bored and realise he needs to start controlling his temper better. because in the end, you are his mother, you will put up with more of this stuff from him than other ppl will.

basically i think you need to do something to deal with this now, because if it carries on, society isnt going to be as peaceful about dealing with his outbursts as you are.

does he carry on like this at school?

how are they dealing with it if he is?

you say he just lies in bed when you take away his computer and tv. does he have a mobile phone or games console or something that he may be entertaining himself with while lying in bed, without you realising?

if not then i think maybe he is depressed, i know lots of ppl think its typical teenager behaviour to lie in bed all day, but to do so and be doing nothing in bed?

that doesnt sound right to me.

have you taken him to see his GP?