Practical Parenting Advice Online Parenting Course

Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How do I change my 9 year old's behavior towards my boyfriend?

i have dated my boyfriend for almost 2 years now and we have a new baby, i have 2 other children from my previous marriage. my 9 year old daughter is really mean to my boyfriend i dont know how to change her attitude towards him! at first i thought she behaved that way because her father wasn't around, he hasn't been around for almost 2 years. when i ask why she is that way towards him, her reply was that she has never seen me with another man besides her dad! How can i get her to change her attitude with my boyfriend, he is a far better father than my ex husband and he is soo nice to her and her sister!

Re: How do I change my 9 year old's behavior towards my boyfriend?

Your daughter will always love her dad much more then any other man, you can't change that. But you need to sit down with your daughter and explain that your boyfriend will never take the place of her dad, he is to make you happy again.Your daughter could also feel pushed out as you have a new baby too.
Does your daughter have contact with her father?

I have 5 children and 3 of them are from a previous marriage, of which they don't see there father.
My eldest of 8 yrs and gone through all what you describe and now loves her step father very much, all 3 of them even calls him dad.
Things will get better, it just takes time for children to adjust and make sure they aren't going to loose there mum too.