Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
7 year old son acting like a girl

My 7 year old son is always acting like a girl. He likes to play dress up and wear my high heel shoes. He has no interest in playing with cars and truck like most boys his age. He is more interested in playing Barbies and dress up with his younger sister. I am currently not working and am at home with them all the time so he is forced to play with his sister who is a girly girl. He plays fine with other boys when given the opportunity . His dad works a lot so he isn't home to spend a lot of time doing boy things, but when my husband tries to get him to do things with him (i.e. fishing) he has no interest. My husband thinks this is just a phase but this has been going on for a few years now and has seemed to have gotten worse recently. Any advise would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Re: 7 year old son acting like a girl

I recently saw two TV shows regarding trans gender & intersex. Not that your son falls anywhere near these categories but what I learned from watching them was that the children whos parents accepted them and didn't feel the need to change them turned out more secure and happy in the long run. First, don't panic (easy to say when you're not the parent, I know!) but it could be a phase. If it's not and your son eventually has homosexual tendencies, is it really the worst thing in the world? The best thing you can do is allow it, don't push it either way, but accept him for who he is an what he likes at the moment. He'll probably grow out of it and laugh at himself when he is an adult when you tell him what he did! If it still doesn't sit right, seek a professional and just discuss it with them. No matter what, just keep loving him the way you do and he will be a happy person because of it.