Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: daughter wont stop in bed

This is normal.... my children did this when they realised they could get out.
At the time, it seems like it might last forever.... but actually, it took very little time to get bedtime routines back to something like normal.
You have to remain VERY calm and keep putting them back into bed until they get the idea. I put a stairgate on the bedroom door for a couple of days!!!
With one child I succumbed to lying on the bedroom floor to ensure he went to sleep and didn't keep getting out... then moved back further and further until I waited outside then didn't have to wait at all.
(I was about 37 weeks pregnant at the time and I thought it might go on for ever!!!! It didn't honest!!!)

Re: daughter wont stop in bed

Hi

I had a similar problem with my daughter. It went on for over a year and we didnt know what to do. We had all the excuses under the sun as to why she got out of bed, from Monsters to "my eyes wont close". We then made it part of her bedtime routine to put her in bed, read a story or two and then I would point at the clock and say "mummy will be back up and see you when the big hand gets to the 3" and I would return back upstairs to check on her every 15 mins. This way she had no reason to come down, as I was going back up. Now-a-days, I put her to bed at 7.30pm and say I will check on her at 8pm. She is always fast asleep by the time I go back up! She has not been downstairs for over a year now. It works a treat.

Good luck.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Can any one help! we have just put our daughter in a bed from a cot and she is a nightmare, she wont stay in bed and we have screaming and shouting everynight for about 2 hours she is 2 years old and she went to bed no bother when she was in her cot whats went wrong?