Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Angry / unhappy 4 year old..

My stepson displayed this kind of behavior when I first met him at 4 or 5. And he has received psych- help, on and off again for some time- but from a free/low cost cracker jack box therapist since his mother suffered then (and now) from denial so I can't say honestly he was ever given the chance he and every child deserves. I urge you to get this child a psychiatric evaluation. I have had my own child seen by psychiatrists/therapists because I am a huge advocate for it and have been helped by it to a large degree myself. She started at 5 and took part in puppeteering, mask making, gameplaying, and lots of interesting techniques to help her with alot of her "issues" and I thank God for blessing me with an open-mind and awareness. It may seem like he is in control and it may appear that it is switched on and off but we as parents have no training to determine exactly what he is and isn't in control of. With no disrespect, I think alot of children suffer from these kind of behaviors and you sound as if you are a very loving and attentive parent that wouldn't want his/her child to feel badly. Once you begin the process you will not believe how many people you know have their children in therapy!!

Re: Re: Angry / unhappy 4 year old..

Hi Terri,

Thanks for your reply.

I know the benefit of therapy having been a patient of a very good therapist myself.

I have received an appointment with our local consultant paediatrician to start his assessment and I shall discuss possible therapy with him/her when I go.

Thanks again for your advice

Leeann