Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
All alone

My wife and I heard a comment from our eldest triplet that broke our hearts yesterday. I'm wondering if any of you guys have any experience or advice.

We're the parents of 2 boys and one girl. They're all six and attend main stream school. I mention this as my eldest has an autistic spectrum disorder that makes it difficult for him to communicate conversationally.

We've been trying to stop him from sitting in the mud at playtime eating soil. The school are no help as most of the staff seem to patrol the playground looking up at the sky.
Last night my boy told me that he played in the soil because he had no-one to play with. He's probably started doing it as it inevitably generates some attention. When we asked him why he didn't play with his friends, he told us that didn't have any.

We've talked to his brother and sister about looking after him but they're already a part of a very domineering peer group. When the three of them are together they play beautifully.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Matt

Re: All alone

A WOMEN IN OUR COMMUNITY STARTED A "SPECIAL NEEDS" SUPPORT GROUP IN THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. SAME AS THE PTA/PTO GROUP BUT THEIR ISSUES ARE DIFFERENT FROM OTHER CHILDREN'S THAT SHE FELT SHE WASN'T GETTING THE SUPPORT SHE NEEDED IN SOMETHING SO "TYPICAL". SHE FELT ALONE WITH HER PROBLEMS AND DECIDED TO SEND OUT FLYERS THROUGH THE SCHOOL AND IT HAS TURNED OUT TO BE VERY SUCCESSFUL AND I WOULD THINK THAT THERE ARE OTHER PARENTS OUT THERE THAT HAVE THE SAME NEED IN ADDRESSING THESE ISSUES AND POSSIBLY IF YOU COULD FIND THEM AND CONQUER YOUR "SKY-WATCHING" SUPERVISORS (AND I USE THE TERM LOOSELY, OF COURSE) TOGETHER YOU MAY FEEL SOME SATISFACTION AND FIND SOME HELP FOR YOUR CHILD. I ONLY RECENTLY FOUND AN ADVERSARY IN THE MOTHER OF A CHILD THAT WENT TO SCHOOL WITH MY DAUGHTER- BUT ALL WITH HINDSIGHT, LITERALLY YEARS LATER I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT HER DAUGHTER SUFFERED FROM THE SAME PERSECUTION FROM A GROUP OF BULLYING GIRLS IN SCHOOL AS MINE- STILL VERY COMFORTING BUT GEE, WAY TOO LATE TO BE OF ANY ASSISTANCE FOR OUR DAUGHTERS. IT IS JUST SHAMEFUL THAT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAVE TO WORRY SO AND I WISH YOU MUCH LUCK-

Re: All alone

Hi Matt,
I have not been in your situation, maybe if you speak to the school and make them aware of the situation and how your son is feeling they can help to solve the problem of him feeling alone by introducing games that will involve him or introduce a playtime buddy.
I hope it is all sorted for you and your family.