Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Mommy Blues!

My son just turned a year. He is typically a well behaved little boy but he is also very spoiled! (stems from living with my in-laws for the past 6months) He does this thing where he just cries and doesn't want a thing..not even somehting that would normally peak his interest. He has this mean side to him and when he does this crying (tantrum) he wants to scratch or bite. It doesnt happen ALL of the time but its happening more often. Idont like to take him places because I dont want him to embarrass me.
Is he still too young to know what he is doing?

Re: New Mommy Blues!

I kind of remember my daughter going through something similar and I think it was a couple of things. First, she wasn't getting enough intellectual stimulation or physical stimulation for her liking/need. Second, it was her chance at exercising her control. "I cry... they come"... my parents also spent a significant amount of time caring for her since I couldn't afford childcare while my husband and I both worked. I do think she is old enough to know what she is doing...but possibly not old enough to stop doing it. The only way would be that approach to sleep where you comfort after so many minutes and wait longer and longer amounts of time in between visiting.... and I was a total failure at putting it into practice because my second- who is six still has sleep issues. Another thought occurred to me as I was typing, I think there was another point where she was just over-tired. Maybe start a log of when this happens to see if you can find any consistencies. Whenever I have done this to track behaviors something has always turned up.