Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: an angry 7 year old!!! any tips????

Hello
I have a 6 yr old daughter who is exactly the same, she is very sensitive and gets frustrated and so angry, she cries most of the time, I think it is just sheer frustration as she is quite clever and really conscientious about her schoolwork, etc I think she gets so angry with herself, she thinks that she can do new things immediately and gets so mad when she can't!!! We have a saying in our house "just have a go" it seems to ease the situation slightly, we tend to avoid doing schoolwork, riding bike without stabilisers, etc when she is in the right frame of mind and not in a grumpy mood, milestones aretiny to ease the disappointment and my husband always has a "story" to tell about that situation happened to him once (9 times out of 10 it didn't) but she is always fascinated with the story and I think it makes her feel better, eventhough she doesn't always show it!!! We point out what she is good at and try to explain that she cannot be good at everything, not easy I know and very wearing, but I wouldn't have her any other way honestly!!!!!
Good luck, let me know how you get on

Re: Re: an angry 7 year old!!! any tips????

Thanks Kirsty, you have given me hope and helped me know that he is not the only one out there lol. we have been out today and he has been great and days like these really help! he has an older sister who has few problems picking up new things and i think that frustrates him a lot too but again like you i do try and encourage him with his art as he is really good at it and i think it is a good way of him expressing himself instead of lashing out!!!

Re: an angry 7 year old!!! any tips????

Hello Angela

I hope you don’t mind me approaching you but I think I might be able to help. I work for ITV on a parenting programme whose aim is to offer advice to parents like yourself.

This programme follows a proven child behavioural course. It's not about shaming bad parents it’s about people who are essentially good parents but who are struggling with challenging behaviour. The unique thing about our series is that from the children’s point of view it’s very non-aggressive. This course isn’t for children – it’s for mums and dads to learn how handle difficult behaviour.

The first series of Driving Mum and dad Mad was received very well. In fact the Home Office funded a study into the effects of watching the programme and found 3/4 of parents in the study reported significant improvements in their child’s behaviour, their parenting and in their family life it’s a series we are very proud of.

If you are interested in finding out more about the programme do call me I’ll be happy to talk about the parenting course and how we plan to film the documentary with absolutely no pressure on you to take part. My direct work number is 020 7633 2801.

Best wishes, and again I do hope you don't mind me approaching you.

Nicola