Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Oh have I messed up!

wow....very interesting, yes I didnt know that! Here 16 is just a kid. Im American and 16 year olds are barely old enough to drive and still cant vote and are usually in the 2cd year of highschool. How old are the children in the UK when they start school?

Re: Oh have I messed up!

Children start school at 4 in UK. You can't drive here till you are 17, you can't vote till you are 18. You can only leave home at under 18 if you can prove you can look after yourself and you can get married over 16 if you get your parents permission. In the UK the situation of 16 year olds legally is unclear. Age of consent is 16 but you can't drink in pubs, but you can leave school etc. Some schools do carry on till 18, and most children stay in education beyond 16 either in school or in colleges specially set up for this age group. There is a significant number however who do leave education and get a job at 16. University is after 2 years post 16 education.

My children did not start school until the term before their 5th birthday.
At 16 you can ride a moped but not drive a car until you are 17.
My daughter has gone to stay with her b/f and his mother who has told her that she can stay as long as she likes and does not have to pay her way. This I am told I can do nothing about legally because she is in a safe place.

Ok, there are a couple of problems here. Why would you ask a 16 year old to pay her way-- I agree with the previous reply-- if you are asking her to pay her keep as an adult then do not expect her to follow the rules of a child.
In my opinion help your children as long as you can. Support them through college the best of your ability. Once they are educated and working and still living at home then ask them to pay-- if you so desire. To expect a child to pay her keep go to college and work is a lot to ask. To expect her to stay at home pay her keep and follow your rules is too much and I am not surprised she left.

Okay I'll start again.

My daughter did go to college and worked p/t but dropped out after a couple of months. She then worked more hours so she was bringing home £600 per month, although this month it will be £800. When I finished college and went to work I gave my parents one third of my salary, which is what my friends have now done with their working youngsters.
She doesn't know if she will be going back to join another college she says that it depends how she feels in a few months, she may stay working.
There is no way I would expect my daughter to pay her way if she goes to college and would support her until she left. If however she left school and worked I would feel the same as her friends parents and would expect her to contribute to the household.

Just a bit more info. My daughter's boyfriend was staying at our house every weekend and so I am cooking for eight people. If they then decides not to turn up the food is wasted and if I don't cook for them she comes in guns blazing demanding to know what they are supposed to eat.

Sound to me like your daughter wants the comforts of home, being a minor, wants the freedom and wherewithall of an adult, without any of the responsibility. I live in the US, and yes, 16 sounds young to us, but at 16, I paid for my own things, my pager, my car, my gas, etc, because I was working. Also, my mother realized that I did these things, and afforded me some minor freedoms, like staying out later, never grounded me from my car, etc. I think you should tell your daughter that if she wants to live in your house, for which you pay, she should follow your rules. She couldn't live on her own (without her b/f), and not have to pay for housing, food, utilities, etc, so, if she wants to act like an adult, she should expect to be treated like one, in all respects. If she expects you to "have dinner on the table for her, and her boyfriend, when she arrives", then she's acting like a child, or like a childish man; either of which need to be put in their place. I say that since, in your country, 16 is considered legal to leave home, let her leave. I think, could be wrong, but think that if she truly needs something, she'll call, or let you know. Maybe she needs a dose of the "real world" to make her appreciate you a little more.

Hi

Your problem is a mirror image of mine when I was 16. A month or so before my 17th birthday I had a huge argument with my mum because I’d stopped going to college. The argument ended with mum telling me to get out and me leaving the house. She never meant for me to actually go but I took advantage and left anyway. This is something I’m really not proud of. After calling mum to let her know I was alright I had no contact with her for a few months, it was just too painful for mum to see or speak to me. Slowly we started to rebuild our relationship, it took about a year for us to be back on track and now many years later we have an extremely close relationship. I never did go back and live at home with mum but I did get a good job, take my A levels at night school and went to university as well, I could never have done any of these things with out the support, encouragement and friendship of my mum.

I guess what I’m saying is stay in contact with your daughter. If this situation has come out the blue and there hasn’t been significant problems before this, things will right themselves again. I left home not because I was unhappy with my mum but with my life while I was living at home, this included friends, college the lot. Personally I think the best thing you can do is firstly find out where your daughter is living (for peace of mind) and secondly start talking and listening to her like she’s an adult, I know this is a difficult thing to do when all you want to do is love and protect her but it’s worth it, it’ll help you understand her and be friends with her. For some people being 16 can be terribly frustrating especially if they feel mature for their age.

I wish you all the best with your daughter, I’m sure things will get better.

N

PS I’ve been on this website because I work for an ITV parenting programme, I came across your email and wanted to respond from the heart not from a professional point of view.

Thankyou for your replies.
I gave up my career to care for my three children and have always done everything for them (too much so my brother says) I suppose that is where I went wrong. My daughter is immature for her age as is her b/f, in my opinion. We are moving in a few weeks and she has said that she will only come if we convert the garage into an annexe for her!
I hope that she does come back and go back to college with our support, but with the temper she has I can't see it happening. This isn't the first time she has left either, she said then that she was treated differently to the other two children and that we are all boring and everything we do is cr*p but I persuaded her to come home.
If she goes back to college then she will go back to p/t hours so will not pay keep, but I expect her to have some manners and give us her parents some respect. Surely that's not too much to ask is it?