Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
3year old who hates preschool

I am a full time mum who has never left my daughter with anyone but my husband (her father) and my own mum. The duration of time left is no more than 3-4 hours. In June 2005 I started my daughter at pre school aged 2.5yrs however she did not settle so I took her out and started again in September.

Once September came she still did not settle and after approximately 4 weeks on the advice of the pre school I took her out.

Jan 2006 came and with my daughter now being 3 we tried again. It is now half term and she still spends her two sessions a week crying and sobbing.

This has had a knock on effect with our home life as I cannot even leave the room now or have an occasional lie in without her screaming for me.

Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone has similar experiences?

Re: 3year old who hates preschool

Hi Cleo

I had same experiece. My daughter had only been left with her father and my mother, prior to her starting pre-school at 2 1/2. She screamed and cried all the time she was there (two sessions per week) but I was told they had never had a child who didn't settle. After two weeks they told me to take her away and try again when she was a little older as they felt she wasn't ready. She went back when she was 3 and settled in straight away. By then though, the pre-school had moved premises so it was like going to a different place to her. I wonder if your daughter going back to the same place brought back her upsetting feelings? Can you try a different pre-school? If she still doesn't settle, it might also be worth asking if you can stay for a short time each session and gradually reduce the time until you can leave her happily in their care?

Having settled well into pre-school, we then had the same problem when she started school so be prepared!