Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help my 5 year old nephew!

My 5 year old nephew recently started crying at bedtime. He is crying and sobbing for his mother and keeping them awake until late in the night. We have asked him several times why he is so upset, he replies he just loves his mom so much. The lack of sleep is taking a toll on the youngster and his family. He says he is not afraid, he just does not like bedtime. He really does not like talking about the subject, and we don't want to make a big deal out of it, in case he is just seeking attention. My nephew shares a room with his 3 year old brother, so he is not alone at night. His dad would prefer him to sleep in his own bed and not with them, however my nephew would be very content sleeping by his mothers side. we would really appreciate any suggestions to make bedtime more pleasant for the entire family. Thank you and God Bless!

Re: Help my 5 year old nephew!

Hi Hollie
I am enjoying ths board-and have gotten some advice to help me with some things. Now Ihave a seven yera -old foster son who did the same thing, stopped for a long time, started again-and what I found in common with the starts and stops was CHANGES in his life...SO NOW I'M SUGGESTING if he loves his mom so much to wriet a letter to her an hour before bedtime. This helps with several things-it gets his TOUGHTS out and on paper, yes even if someone has to sit and help him-he'll talk it out way before the bedtime-and the writing exercise should tire him a bit. On ething I also did was tell him (my foster son) it's okay to cry, and he's ten, but go do it in your room, I have to close my door to sleep-and yes, I know it's hard with him sharing a room, but homestly I think the wriring mom a letter will help him get some NIGHTTIME THOUGHT OUT OF HIS HEAD-the more we take out of our heads in the day-the better we sleep at night.
Sincerely Nancy

Re: Re: Help my 5 year old nephew!

Nancy
Thank you so much for the advice. We will try those suggestions. I have a 6 year old daughter and a 3 year old daughter with Downs Syndrome so I think I will really enjoy this site also! Good luck with your foster son, I think it is so incredibly great for you to take in a child who needs someone to love him!