Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: CHILDREN AND TELEVISION

I think they can imitate both the good and bad depending on their age they probably can't distinguish and just act out whatever they have seen.

This is why as parents we need to be fussy about what they watch. My kids are only allowed to watch G rated programs, they have to have good messages, the characters have to be kinds to others and no violence. I don't allow Power Rangers, Ninja Turtles, the Simpsons, South Park and the like.

Our favourite shows are Bear in the Big Blue House, The Wiggles, Angelina Ballerina, Teletubbies and Hi5.

Re: Re: Re: CHILDREN AND TELEVISION

if anyone is interested in finding out more about this there is a good book that has just been released called Remotely Controlled: How television is damaging our lives - and what we can do about it

by dr aric sigman

its a really interesting read about tv, its beginnings and the effect it has on us and our families, i know i will be cutting down my viewing a great deal since reading the book

Re: Re: Re: Re: CHILDREN AND TELEVISION

Yes I think television corrupts our kids. My son is the way he is because of TV. I'm removing that from his life! He's 6 and thinks that growing up means "being mean and hurting other people's feelings". You really need to monitor what they watch!

Re: CHILDREN AND TELEVISION

SHUT UP YOU ****

Re: CHILDREN AND TELEVISION

Yes I believe that there is a negative influence on our children. I know that parents are/should be the main influence. Television and music is a big component.

I was watching a show about music from the 70's with my daughter and while I will be first to admit it was quite ghastly, she thought it was the most ridiculous garbage she had ever heard. I told her as a child by age 10….we never heard swearing or bullet shots in our music, and I believe it is a reason why the children of the 70's were so different from today’s kids.
I think the older kids listening to the bad rap music is just as bad as the violence on Tele….even worse because the children actually believe what is being said to them, they don’t realize that this artist is collecting millions living in a large spread taking care to make sure his/her children don’t listen to the same filth.