Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
temper tantrums in 7 yr old need help

hi I have three childre 7 5 and 2. The problem is my 7 yr old she has frequent temper tantrums which are absoulty uncontrlable , once she goes in to one there is no stopping her she has been like this more or less since she was 6 months old although at that time we used to think it was night terrors etc. she does take alot of mediacation for her asthama. and this defo maked her worse, her schiool are not supportive at all ,head asked me to get the medication changed, i told her i had spent the best part of four years finding the right one for her.when she is well i noticed a definite difference in her behaviour and if she is going to go into one about something its easier to try and help her, she gives her self constant nose bleeds gets so angry that it totally changes her face, we have been having problems at school as the teacher she has now seams to pick at every thing. had a note in her homework book saying someone said she had pulled someones hair but noone had seen it. its driving me to disspear.
she is always saying i don't love her I am always telling her that i do. she always trys to get there first b4 her sister if i ask then to do something. she constantly buts in when i am talking to adults, we can be in a shop queue and she will say at the top of her voice for example we are in wicks "mum we are going to b and q now arn't we cause they dont sell ##### in here" not even looking at me looking at whoever else is around. she is always in peoples faces and i just dont know what to do . i have changed her diet worked out what sets her off there, but am now wondering does she have adhd ? please help I love her very much but just want everyone else to ike her, the school have labeled her and it hurts.

Re: temper tantrums in 7 yr old need help

i really would go back to your doctor and have a chat about meds it might help. you could try using a star chart? when your daughter throws a tantrum how do you deal with it? i would put her some where she cant hurt herself and leave her to get over it on her own go back every few mins to check on her but dont speak to her at all!!!!! she will learn that she gets nothing from having a paddy! try making more time to spend with her one to one doing some thing she loves and when she is being good go over the top with telling her how lovely it is when she is a good girl and how much you love her ect. as for the school i would tell them how you want them to do to deal with your daughter and dont take any crap from them its so easy for schools to label children who have problems so that they dont have to deal with it. hope it helps
deb

hi, i know how you feel, i also have a seven year old prone to temper tantrums. adhd is hard to diagnose and often your child may meet several of the criteria for duiagnosis, but alot of behaviour is just general kids. i agree with the other parent who left a message. time out is quite effective. also you must give her positive attention when she is good. often we tend |(as i have done) to focus on the poor behaviour more. this creates a child who will learn quickly that mum responds instantly when naught. as for the school, it is there responsibility to ensure your child is happy at school, and that her needs are met. they shoould communicate directly with you and not just write a note. perhaps you could arrange a meeting with the head and express your views?

hi my daughter was assessed whilst in school yesturday.
I am now waiting to here from the head for a meeting.things seamed a bit better this weeek well last few days. last weekend was a completer nightmare she was out of controle all weekend.

I do feel that my two sons (4 and 9) constantly battle for my attention. This comes out in all kinds of forms like those you mention re your daughter. Mine have settled more when we have and stick to routines of doing such and such with one then such and such with the other and explaining that mum is only one person and can't do everything at once. ( I only have one pair of arms and one head if I had more I'd look like an alien...worked once!)Tricky when they are young but you can explain these things to the older ones. Routine seems calming for mine maybe check and revise yours.
Goodluck

she gets loads of attention and the more she gets the worse she seems to be i have three children she is the oldest and always badly behaved