Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pueberty Already!?

Hi, I have a 9 year old daughter. For the last year, she's been very independent, and I've let her shower on her own, and she hasn't needed any help. Well yesterday, I walked in on her and was in absolute shock. She had probably close to the amount of pubic hair a grown women would have.
She has shown no other signs of pueberty, and I have yet to talk to her about it at all. I figured I would not have to have this talk with her till she was around 11 or 12. Now I think I must. I'm afraid she will get her period soon. This just seems much to young to me. Should I get her checked by her doctor? Is this more common for girls than I think at this age?

Re: Pueberty Already!?

Girls are reaching pubery earlier than they used to.
I have read in the press that doctors have seen pubic hair on some West Indian girls at 8.
I would have thought that she would have had her first period by now if her pubic hair is like that of a mature woman.
I have a son and his voice broke at 10 and I have found semen stains in his bed which was a terrible shock.
What has happened to childhood?
I also have a daughter aged 9 and she is not showing any signs of puberty yet.
It looks like I will have to tell her about periods.
It only seems like yesterday that they were babies.

My daughter hit puberty early at about 9. Periods started when she was just 10 ( apparently you have to be a certain per centage of adult weight or certain weight for that to happen). She says "It's not a real problem... the others will catch up eventually". She's 11 now and the others are beginning to catch up. If you don't make it a big issue it won't become a big issue. There's not much you can do about it. It's not that abnormal. My daughter says "If she's not making a big deal about it, then it isn't actually a big deal. My daughter is about the youngest in her year and I think was the first to have periods but by the end of year 6, there were a handful of girls in the same position.

I have a 10 year old who has no signs of puperty yet, but she has engaged in sex play with a boy her age...which had me in a fit.

After this encounter I sat her down and told her about the birds and the bees strait away. Young girls need to know about these things before their periods start and I have read that this can happen as early as 8 years old?? What is the reason for this madness?