Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 11 year old girl going on 17

thanks for advice but you write a book, you want to sell a book. I was hoping for some advice from someone in same sort of position. Just how much is your book because I cant access you web site....

Re: 11 year old girl going on 17

I'd check out the book anyway, if you're able. As far as someone being in the same position... well, I've been in a similar one. My younger sister is much like your daughter, and I went through the same things myself.

For the both of us, a lot of our anger came from frustration of being young, not having the freedom we wanted and being under "Mom's Rule". Don't take her harsh words to heart, it's likely that she doesn't realize how much they can hurt. And the fact that she apologizes means that she does care about you.

Try talking to her, not as an authority figure, but just as a companion. Ask her if there's anything she'd like to do or have, any priveleges she feels she deserves. Discuss those things and try to come to a reasonable agreement. Let her know that you don't enjoy the fighting you two go through, and you want to look for alternatives. If she enjoys writing, try giving her a journal to vent her feelings in.

Re: Re: 11 year old girl going on 17

thanks for your reply. I do try to talk to her as a friend as well as a mum but it still seems she snaps at the drop of a hat. I will try the diary idea. She does like writting so it might help.
thanks again