Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8yr old child unable to read simple stories, difficult to remember spellings

My only son is 8yrs old. we were in dubai where i and my husband was working and from age 1 he was left with a baby sitter who didnt know english or our mother tongue. she used to talk a bit of our mother tongue(malayalam) so managed to communicate with our son and us with it. After 6pm in the evening he used to spend few hours with us till he goes to sleep.

in the beginning of his school years (primary level)he was good in his studies basic numbers alphabets, three letter words etc. but from 2nd grade onwards started to find difficult to use phonic sounds to read small words and one line sentences. Now in grade 3 he has joined in an international school in india. where he was send to resource room where he was given special attention to improve reading and has shown little improvement . but still he is unable to read and comprehent what he has read? he manages to read a paragraph or so but if we ask some questions based on it he is not able to answer. i teach all the subjects very well and if i ask direct questions like what is condensation or reversible reaction he will write but if the same concept is asked indirectly like after a hot shower you notice the mirror appears cloudy etc he gets stuck and unable to coordinate (link ) what he learned into it.

Can anybody advice me some methods through which i can help him to improve his comprehension skills.
how can he link the concepts he learn in practical situation? i get upset seeing him sitting idel and sometimes struggling to read words which are very familiar to him - like walk, could etc and shout and use bad words like idoit stupid etc soon i regret and apologies to him. but recently when i went to school the teacher told me that his behaviour has changed these days he get irritated for small reasons and call his class mates stupid, fool etc This made me very much worried and i lost faith in me, in life everything. my husband is a drunkard and not interested in anything he live abroad, if he comes to know all these things he will just put all blame on me and fight in front of my son. can anybody help me out. provide some good sites to read about english comprehension, child behaviour etc please help please

Re: 8yr old child unable to read simple stories, difficult to remember spellings

There is that Hooked on Phonics program that you can try. I use it for my child. You can get the program from beginning sounds thru most of the grades of school. Google it and you can find out where to get it at. Mine was a gift, but it works wonders!

Re: Re: 8yr old child unable to read simple stories, difficult to remember spellings

'shout and use bad words like idoit stupid etc soon i regret and apologies to him. '

Ironic that you make mistakes in your own writing but call him stupid when he makes them, i instead of I, idoit instead of idiot, apologies instead of apologise?

Not a critism, typo's are easily done, but maybe it will make you reconsider next time your tempted to shout at him