Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Teen breakup

My son who is 15 broke up with his girlfriend. Sh begged and plaeded to stay with him and it has been none stop pressure from her. her parents even ganged up on my son to stay with her if you can believe that. I told my son to expect this kind of behaviour in a break up but of course he felt guilty. I told him that was normal too but that he had to do what he truely wanted to do and so on. well, he caved and went back to her because he felt sorry for her and so he would still have someone to hang around with at school. (he did not make friends and circled everything around her) He told her he just wanted to slow things down and have his weekends to himself. they have been going out for about 2 years. (I know!!) I know I can't control his love life but I really think he wants to and needs to spread his wings but cannot handle the guilt. How can I help him?

Re: Teen breakup

Why not think about going away for a short holiday?

The space away from his peers might give them chance to move on. I'm sure you'll feel better for doing something positive.

Re: Teen breakup

Awww -young love! Maybe it's my upbringing but somehow parents giving advice regarding ones love life doesn't seem apt to me. I think it just one of those things that your son will learn to resolve himself. I can't believe the girls parents intervened. In my humble opinion I think parental advice is somewhat limited and we should merely be there for support. Hopefully his girlfriend is not a bad influence on him and so ensuring he keeps out of trouble. I know there are alot of other parents with sons the same age as yourself who have much bigger worries in regards to drinking, drugs etc.