Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 2 year old will not sleep. Any ideas?

I have 5 children and have had all varieties of sleep/bedtime issues between them. I do not know what your preferences is but if it is to have some independence from your child during the night (ie. you sleep better w/out him next to you, perhaps you have a spouse that is not content with the situation) you should know that it is ok to hard line and make that happen. THe response of the first person to answer your post (It is normal to have families sleep together) sounds wonderful, but is not always a true picture of reality. Try going over the reasons with your child. Make sure it is understood why he has his own space and why that is a good thing. Maybe do something to make it a more inviting space to be in (my 4 year old has been camping out in a range box made into a fort on her bedroom floor for about three weeks now). Let him know that you will check on him during the night, have a cool night light, music or story book on tape could help. ASSURE YOURSELF that your child understands why this is the way it is to be. Be persistent. It may take a few miserable nights to make this happen but stick to it. Reinforce the decision by sticking with it. Know that you are not going to damage your child by being tough and sticking to your convictions. Good luck!