Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2 year old will not sleep. Any ideas?

Let him sleep in your bed and the problem will dissapear. All humans have always slept with their children and still do until the west came up, only in the last 180 years, with this strange idea of forcing children to sleep away from their parents. This leads to insecurity, mistrust and lots of struggle. Take the easy route by doing what works.

I stopped the "war" against my boys when I read the book "Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves." What a relief to be able to parent from the heart and have well sleeping and behaving kids.

Re: 2 year old will not sleep. Any ideas?

i have a 2 year old daughter and she has no problem acutally sleeping in her bed. she doesnt like to fall asleep in it but she stays there all night. i think every kid has their own time in when they'll actually sleep the night thru.

I have always had her in the same room because it was just me and her. she had her own bed though. it was only a couple feet away from me and so she was able to know i was here. i think a good way to get him in his own bed would be to try having an extra bed in ur room and let him sleep there. then gradually move him to his room. try having him take naps in his room during the day so he knows its ok. then at night show him its still ok by putting a night light in his room. my daughter was scared of the dark and being by herself. but she can see me thru her door and she knows with the night light shes ok. i think u just have to reassure them that ur there and they will be ok

Re: Re: 2 year old will not sleep. Any ideas?

I have 5 children and have had all varieties of sleep/bedtime issues between them. I do not know what your preferences is but if it is to have some independence from your child during the night (ie. you sleep better w/out him next to you, perhaps you have a spouse that is not content with the situation) you should know that it is ok to hard line and make that happen. THe response of the first person to answer your post (It is normal to have families sleep together) sounds wonderful, but is not always a true picture of reality. Try going over the reasons with your child. Make sure it is understood why he has his own space and why that is a good thing. Maybe do something to make it a more inviting space to be in (my 4 year old has been camping out in a range box made into a fort on her bedroom floor for about three weeks now). Let him know that you will check on him during the night, have a cool night light, music or story book on tape could help. ASSURE YOURSELF that your child understands why this is the way it is to be. Be persistent. It may take a few miserable nights to make this happen but stick to it. Reinforce the decision by sticking with it. Know that you are not going to damage your child by being tough and sticking to your convictions. Good luck!