Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: my io year old daughter

I will give you the same advise I have given many. We used a daily privlege method. We picked a few things that my step son liked best as our privleges. Then we explained to him that he had to earn those privleges daily. When he woke up in the morning the privleges were his, but if he (for us) was mouthy at home or at school, was disrespectful, didn't do his homework, got in trouble in school, or didn't do what he was asked then then privleges were gone for the day. He was given maybe a warning but after that it was gone. No yelling, no constantly threating to do it, just well you know the rules you choose not to follow them so now the privleges are gone. But we would also say to him that tomorrow was another day and if he followed the rules he would have the privleges then. After a few weeks he started to get it! Then eventually he followed the rules most of the time. But if he messes up he knows the privleges will still get taken away for a day. I am proud to say that he now is good about 95% of the time. I would say we started this less than a year ago. When we started it he was getting suspended from school, mouthy, disrespectful, getting bad grades, always interupted conversations, had tantrums (I called his 2yr old tantrums), and was yelled at and grounded constantly! Our house was hell! But we tried this method (the counselor gave us) and it worked. I thank god for it!!!! Life in our house is much more pieceful. Good Luck!!