Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I think I may have messed up...

Hi Liz
I believe we all so often over compensate for things. It doesn't make us bad! I think it is important to teach our kids hardwork, but they need to see light at the end of the tunnel. I have a step child that was very troubled, our counselor was the one that said sometimes we need to change our way of teaching kids right and wrong and good and bad behavior. He said for example instead of grounding a child for a week do it for a day giving them a fresh start the next day. That really helped us!!! So for you maybe you need to teach him that at the end of the hardwork there is something fun. But not way down the road. Hard work today rewards us today type of thing. I don't know might help. If he doesn't want to do the work then he doesn't get the reward. And keep it simple. We didn't have alot of money so we just used everyday things like tv, video games, etc.

Cindy

Re: Re: I think I may have messed up...

Thanks Cindy. I like this idea or rewarding the work on the same day. Perhaps arranging playing a game with him on the puter after he has done his work would help him. I'll certainly try this.

Liz x

Re: Re: Re: I think I may have messed up...

Hi liz, I'm doing the same trying to get my daughter ready for her 11+, 1/2 hour study gets 1/2 extra time added to pc time on the condition that she does actually study and not just sit and chew her pen! So far she's not made any complaints and is studying for an hour a night.