Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 10 year old boy letting them out on their own.

Hi Patrick,

It is a difficult balancing act. My son is also ten, and most of the kids in his class roam the streets freely most of the day. I often feel I'm over protective, but then my son isnt very streetwise, and is easily intimidated. So, I think its a case of striking a balance, and slowly letting go as they mature.

I've started letting my son walk to his friends house, who lives round the corner from us, and this summer i plan to let him make short trips to the shop, and perhaps to the playing fields. But I will keep close tabs on things until I'm sure he can take care of himself. My husband lets him take an old mobile phone when he goes to his friends house, so that there is always some way to contact us if he needs to.

Has your son asked if he can go to the park? If he is showing signs of wanting more freedom, perhaps something can be negotiated.

You know your son best, and what he is ready for. I certainly went to the park alone at 10, and people always say the world was safer back then, but my sister and I were once approached by some men who tried to lure us, we lived next to the park so we ran home. There will always be dangers like that, its about knowing how to be safe, whatever age.

Best wishes

Liz x

Re: Re: 10 year old boy letting them out on their own.

Thanks for the advice, is good to know that other parents have the same issues as we do. Your advice gives us some food for thought.

Thanks again.