Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Any schedule ideas for weekend Dad?

Hi Jeff,

Nice to see a man on here every now and then...

Am sorry to hear you are divorced..it is a tough thing to go through (speaking out of experience)..and must be hard to only see her every other weekend.

My tips...

- try and keep same schedule as mom (ike bedtime...meal times)
- maybe try and get to know some of her friends' parents so you can invite the friends over (ie playdates) (it is exhausting being with a 4 year old all weekend when you have probably been busy all week)
- maybe get her involved in an activity...ie tennis or even golf is fun. I go to the driving range with my kids and they love it.
- a bit of tv is not so bad....just so you can have a break
- maybe try visits with your only family..ie parents...or good friends with kids...

I think giving her your undivided attention is great...but as you say it is not normal....and she does need to get used to playing by herself...

The transition is always hard...ie between parents...so allow a bit of time for that.

Maybe you can make a schedule that you discuss with her...that generally stays the same...but makes some time for her to do het own thing....ie color....build something...try a puzzle. At 4 they do need a lot of attention....but not 100%.

Good luck,

Lina