Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: im a failure

Hi Deb,

I feel for you...and know the anger you are talking about. I get it a lot from my son as well (see my message dilemma in the south of france).
I always find that my son's anger is mainly during transition phases...ie coming home from school....after a day with his dad...

it takes a while ...and i try and stay calm...but he usually comes out of it. basically he is struggling with his emotions...and ignoring his anger is probably the best tactic...

the other thing i am now trying again is the reward system...to reward him when he is not grump...

good luck!!
Lina

Oh please don't take her to a counselor. There is nothing wrong with her. Taking children for therapy makes them feel that something is wrong with them and that you want them to be different because you don't love them. Instead consider some advice for yourself on how to care for her.

I can see why she would feel the way she does. At day time she feels rejected by you as she is sent away from home and you stay with the baby. So, all the reason to want to hurt the baby. And the baby came from having your partner so that's a reason to resent him and wish to go back to just you and her.

You can help her, but you may need some advice. Your daughter is in pain. I highly recommend the book, Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves. It has a whole section on jealousy related behavior. The author gives advice by phone. Get the book from amazon and the information on getting advice is in the back of the book.

Love is the cure. Good luck to you.

Hi Deb - Keep your chin up your not a failure just a stressed out mum, I know I have two girls who argue constantly. Do you shout at your little girl when she plays up because apparently they just shout back, also regarding the problem getting her to go to school, remind her of how much fun school is and how she'll get to see all her friends, and perhaps ask her to paint ' Mummy a pretty picture ' also try to get more involved with her after school, let her help you with the dinner ( even just putting things in the saucepan )or let her help you with the housework give her an old duster and ask her to be mummys' little helper, or let her stand on a stool and wash the dishes, you'll probably have to wash them after but at least she'll be quiet, also get your partner involved in this and bathtimes and bedtimes stories,
Just an Idea
Best of Luck
Joanne