Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Scared of the future!

Okay I'm going to say something slighty different to the other replies, yes I do agree that you need your own interests but wonder do you ever support his? Do you ever go to matches and watch? I'm really not sure I'd want to be with a partner who expected me to give up my hobbies, and if I did I imagine I'd resent them as your resenting him for not letting you have keep your interests (being together as a family being the one you've mentioned). Presumably you got together knowing how he enjoyed spending his time but now expect him to give it up which doesn't seem very reasonable. If he has a child on the way he should expect to cut down and put his family first but not stop altogether.

Looking at this from his point of view, your asking him to give up something to meet your needs but asking him to give his up altogether and I think a bit of give and take would be better, you go to the odd match and support him, in return he spends regular time at home with you and the kids.

My ex fella used to cycle, frankly the most boring thing I've ever watched in my life but I watched him race then afterwards we'd go out and have a family session so we both got what we needed out of our weekends.(We split for other reasons!)

I do agree with the advice given above but include some team work too, not much point in a relationship if your only supporting your own needs.

Re: Re: Re: Scared of the future!

HI
Thankyou all for your advice, I really do have to look at myself and be more independent.
I would like to go to football matches with my partner, but its very hard getting a babysitter.
But I don't want him to give up his hobbies, just cut down.