Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
midwifes

hi,im angelas partner,paul.i am concerned about the length of time between angelas visit to the midwife.she is now 34 weeks pregnant and saw the midwife today who said the next visit will be in 4 weeks time.(38 weeks ). her last visit wes 4 weeks ago (3o weeks).is this normal? this is angelas 4th and my 1st! am i worrying over nothing?,or should the check ups be more regular? thanks,paul

Re: midwifes

Paul, many congrats on your impending arrival!

Please don't worry. Having recently had my second child 3months ago, it is perfectly normal for Angela not to be seen again for another 4weeks. I assume that all is okay as if there were any concerns then Angela would be seen again sooner. It did used to be the case that women would be seen fortnightly after 34wks but practices have changed, probably due to lack of resources within the NHS! Should Angela be worried about anything she should have a contact number to a midwife. I bet Angela's not worrying and so listen to her! Hope all goes well and you enjoy the birth. Just some quick advice -don't expect the birth to be the romantic scenario as depicted in many drama's -it will be gritty and you need to remain calm and supportive for Angela's sake.

Re: Re: midwifes

thanks

Re: midwifes

hi Paul,

If your midwife is very experienced she will be able to cater your wife's care to suit her needs, and can predict if she is likely to have complications. If her pregnancy has been generally uneventful, then everything should be fine. Surprises can happen, but the really nice thing about midwives is they are only a phone call away.

I think the best thing you can do right now to assure the health and well-being of both Angela and your child is to be well-prepared for the event and help to keep her as comfortable as possible. Think of things like hot towels/hot water bottles, massage oil, etc. that might be good to have handy during labour and arrange for that.

Congrats!

Aerin