Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: bad habit?

Hi Helen,

From what you have writted it seems like you're more bothered about this than she is. It doesn't seem to have affected her confidence or her ability to make friends, and I dont think its at all detrimental to her health. (If she were thumb sucking, for instance, you might be concerned about her teeth growing crooked.)

My feeling is this will go away as she grows older. If you really don't like it, could you perhaps tell her she can do it in her bed when its sleep time, or can she do it in her room for a bit, then come back when shes finished?

Incidentally, on the subject of habits, my 6 year old sits with his thumb in his mouth and his index finger wedged up his nose! Thats certainly something I'd like to curb, so I can sympathise!!!

All the best

Love Liz x

Re: Re: bad habit?

Thanks Liz! Yes, I guess I am more bothered than she is, but I am bothered for her own sake, if that makes sense. (I am a teacher, and know how revolting children can be to one another!)
When she does it, she almost withdraws from whatever situation she is in, like a shield to the world!
She knows I don't mind her doing it if she is tired, or upset, but if I am honest she looks awful when she is doing it, and I don't want it to become entrenched.
She will grow out of it as you say. I think thumb sucking would be preferable, although not sure about the nose thing!
Thanks again
Helen

Re: bad habit?

Hi,

I work in school as a TA, so I can see where you're coming from, although reception doesn't seem as bad for teasing as some of the later years.

What I'm trying to do with my sons unpleasant habit is use just one word as a reminder not to do it. (i'm doing a psychology A level, our module on conditioning has influenced me I think!!! )When he does it I say, "Ewan, nose!" and he stops. It hasn't stopped him doing it, but he stops immediately when reminded, and using the one word reminder saves me nagging and chafing. The trouble is, I'm not able to follow him to school saying, "nose" so I'm just hoping if I say ot often enough at home, he will get the message eventually!!!

Just a thought, have you ever shown her a mirror when shes doing her thing? Maybe she will realise it makes her look bad, and won't want to scare her friends!

Liz x