Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: out of the military at 25, back home now, mom wants curfew...

LOL ...! I actually agree with BOTH the previous posters. Obviously you're an adult and it would be nice if you were treated as such.

However, at the end of the day you are an (adult) visitor in someone else's home, and your parents have a right to decide what the rules are in their home. I must say if I had a visitor staying I wouldn't be too thrilled if they came home at 2am, mainly because I value my sleep and peace and quiet so much!

Cassie

My Goal for 2007 - to post on my parenting blog every day!

Re: out of the military at 25, back home now, mom wants curfew...

Probably the reason your mother is worrying about you has little to do with your age and more to do with your "trouble with the law". You don't mention what that trouble was, so you're leaving much to the imagination, here.

I would agree that NORMALLY, 25yr olds go party to all hours of the night as they choose, BUT the time they want you home may not have so much to do with you partying out as it does with you disrupting their sleep coming in at the wee hours. If I have a late night with my friends my partner feels the same way -- alot of this is you choosing to be treated "like a child" instead of seeing the situation as a group of what should be MUTUALLY respectful adults. That means you have to respect your parents' wishes while you are in their home as you would expect any houseguest to respect YOUR way of life if it were your home.

Change your attitude and get your life together. For your date night, consider making alternate sleeping arrangements (and no, I don't mean THAT KIND)