Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My four year old son gets very angry and becomes very agressive

Hi Linsey!

I agree with Liz ... you're doing a good job and now the nursery staff need to do their job properly :)

Your boy is so lucky to have a mother that chooses to focus on rewards and hugs, I'm glad for him.

One other thing that came to my mind was perhaps actively encouraging him to express his anger and frustration in appropriate ways. If he kicks his bed and punches his pillow, for instance, that's praiseworthy because he's letting his emotions out without hurting anyone.

A child crying has a fundamental effect on the adult nervous system. Our hearts beat faster, we experience a classic flight or fight response when we hear a child crying. We just want them to stop!

However, we should try to recognise that a child has a fundamental NEED to express base emotions like sadness and anger, as well of course as happiness.
If a child is never allowed to express anger or sadness, that will have the potential to cause them severe emotional issues in later life.

Anyway like Liz said, well done on doing a great job and good luck with getting the nursery staff to do their bit!

cyberhugs,

Cassie

Parenting support from Monicka and Cassie at www.kidsgoals.com.

Self esteem building and goal setting for kids. Parenting tips and resources, educational games, kids crafts and learning activities.

Visit us today to get your free fortnightly parenting newsletter.