Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: 4yr old School problems my child is like Jekyll and Hyde

Hi Casey,

I do the daily reward of hugs and kisses and well dones but wanted him to get something special like a trip to the activity centre.
I have considered if he may benefit from keeping him back a year but I'm unsure how to do that.
He's intelligent and has picked up his writing and sounds very quickly it's just his emotional aspect of dealing with conflict that needs worked on.
I've booked in with the school for an appointment with the teacher as I feel they need to offer him positive reinforcement rather than waiting until he's done something then punishing him by sitting him on a chair and telling him off.
I don't think he fully understands the implications of his actions and I know for a fact that my son responds very well to rewards and not the greatest to punishment.

Also yesterday he bit another child on the arm and the classroom assistant saw him do this and he was taken out and spoken too by the acting principle. I don't want school to be a horrible time for him and I'm worried.

I have recently started childminding and I can observe him with the other children. The age difference between the 5 yr old girl I mind and my son is very noticable. She likes to boss him about and I think some of his behaviour problems may be linked to his behaviour with this girl.

I'm hoping that I can get some positive ideas from the teacher. It's just really kicked off the past two-three weeks and I thought they would have been keen on doing something positive with him sooner.

:) thanks for the advice

Dawn x

Re: 4yr old School problems my child is like Jekyll and Hyde

Hi... a really able child can have just as many problems at school than one who is struggling. It is the school's responsibility to work out strategies that work for your son. You are right ro be concerned and do need ensure that the school nips this in the bud. I would suggest posiitive enforcement of good behaviour etc. Tell them what works for your child.
If you do not get anywhere with the class teacher (most teachers are excellent but sometimes a particular teacher is not great wih a particular type of child), I suggest you make an appointment with the head, or the senco and express your concerns and try to devise a way forward. You seem like a very sensible and caring mum who knows how to manage your child. It sounds to me like you are doing your job and the school just hasn't managed to find the way that works for your son.
I like the reward idea. I know of other strategies.... like marbles in jars.... they go in for good behaviour, out for bad.... and if it's full at the end of the week (or day... whatever) a reward is given. Home -school books can be used..... ummm can't think of anymore off the top of my head!!!