Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 16 YEAR OLD ANSWERING BACK

Hi there

To be honest, what he said sounds very tame. Be thankful he didn't tell her to eff off, which is what I hear even from the 8 year olds who live in my neighbourhood. In this case, I think your son is right. Who is your friend to humiliate the lad, who is almost a man and needs to feel dignity and self respect. Surely she actually does need to mind her own business?

It sounds like you're more bothered what your mate thinks than how your son feels. I think I would back up the son on this one, and tell my friend to butt out. At his age, laziness is something he is going to have to tackle himself, and face the consequences for, when he enteres the further Ed/working world.

Maybe you could discuss some ways of disagreeing with people and defending himself without being rude, if it bothers you? Suggest he says something like, "maybe a little, but nobody's perfect right?"

At 16, he could be soooo much worse, bringing home all kinds of heartache. Credit where its due!

All the best

Love Liz x

Re: 16 YEAR OLD ANSWERING BACK

ur son sounds like hes got his head screwed on right.

you should be very proud of him for being able to handle himself without resorting to foul language.

your friend should not be saying stuff like that abpout him. its humiliating and degrading and no1 deserves that, even if tehy are lazy.

if he is lazy being criticised like that wont help him get motivated.

i think he was right to tell your frined to mind her own business.

she deserved it for what she was saying about him.

this thing about not answring adults back is all very well but when they are insulting him like that, i dont know about you but this is my take on it.

if it was me....

id rather my son told her to eff off than just sat there and took it.

but your son can defend himself (not that he should have to) without swearing, which really would be my ideal.

you should be very proud of your son and ashamed of your friend. his percieved laziness is none of her business and she needs to get a life of her own.

sorry if you think thats harsh but its my reaction.

willow
xxx

Re: Re: 16 YEAR OLD ANSWERING BACK

Thanks for advice and yes you are both right.
I proberbly still thinks he's 7 years old.

Re: Re: Re: 16 YEAR OLD ANSWERING BACK

Mmmm... dont we hate it when kids start thinking for themselves...

When we make a friend, we accept them for what they are, warts and all...

We spend all our time teaching our kids to think, be grownup, independent, responsible and respectful, and as soon as they start doing all that....

Yet we never ask this of friends, we focus on accepting them for what they are...

I heard a line in a movie once.... 'its not that you dont want me to think... you just dont want me to think things you dont agree with.'

hang in there McGee

jen