Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: US Fundamentalists to Hold Child Abuse Seminars in the UK

Oh my, that's horrible. You must spread the word and prevent parents from participating. I wish books like Unconditional Parenting, and Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves became best sellers. Parents who read these will not opt to attend these events.

Re: US Fundamentalists to Hold Child Abuse Seminars in the UK

We home educate our two school-age sons and I often visit internet sites for resources. One visit to the schoolhouse site was enough to show me to steer clear like the plague. Parents who home-educate get enough undeserved hassle and misunderstanding without these weirdoes coming in stirring things up. People seem to think that because they don't go to school our boys don't mix socially or have friends - but they go to scouts, drama club, judo club etc. and our 12 yr old had a wonderful birthday party yesterday with his scout friends invited. School is not the be-all and end-all of a child's social life as I sure most of you will be well aware. We even had a neighbour report us to social services because we home educate which was really scary - it took 3 visits and loads of letters and legal advice before they at last stated there was no concern at all and left us alone. Needless to say we moved to a new neighbourhood! We had a social worker say that as we home educate no one would be aware if the children were being physically abused - but what about their cubs and scout leaders, drama teacher, judo instructor, holiday club teachers, or even friends parents???? I am not a Christan myself though I was raised in a christian family and went to a christian school, and one of the main reasons I am not christian is because I cannot possibly get my head around this nonsence about children being born with inherited guilt and sinners and born with the desire to do evil. I cannot possibly hold a baby in my arms and think 'he's a sinner, he has guilt'. We have never once physically punished our children - if they do need a punishment then it is the loss of a privilege or time out or at worst time standing in the corner or they write lines. I am worried that these extremists coming here spreading their nonsense will make things even worse for UK home educators with people thinking that we are all advocating their to my mind dangerous and brainwashing propaganda. Free speech can go too far sometimes - these people should be banned from lecturing here.
Melissa.