Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Child smoking

A couple of weeks ago my adopted son was seen smoking one day by one of my neighbors. I then checked up on him to see if it were true. I went for a walk the one day and I caught my son smoking. I did not say anything to my son until later that night. My son confessed and came clean with me about his smoking with me. I asked him how long has he been smoking and why does he smoke? My son told me that a neighbor kid showed him how to smoke and he said that he tried it and liked the feeling that he received from smoking. I asked my son to light up a cigarette and I asked him to show me how he smokes. I was hoping that he did not know how to inhale the smoke. I was wrong the boy knows how to inhale real well. What should I do? My son told me that he smokes at least a half pack a day. I also watched him smoke some more and this kid is really hooked to smoking. The kid really likes to smoke. I should get him some help to quit, but I'am afraid that he will resent me for doing this. My son is only fourteen I would like to see him quit, I mentioned it to my son that he will have to quit. My son pleaded with me that he can't quit and that he likes to smoke. Any advice

Re: Child smoking

I was pressured by a girlfriend of mine, I believe I was about 12. I tried it and hated it and never smoked again and i'm 30 now! But she ended up liking it.

I'm just curious to where he gets the money, I know from experience that some of my friends in those days would take money off of their parents. Take it out of their moms purses and everything.

Find out how he can afford to smoke 1/2 pack a day? Does he work a part-time job after school?

I have tried lecturing friends who smoke and it never seems to work! I'd bring him to a doctor to have him explain to him all of the organs it affects and the damage it does. Sometimes 14 year olds just don't want to listen to their parents.

I'd be keeping a close eye on the wallet and purses in the house! ( not saying he's a theif but habits can cause you do desperate things).

If he has no money then he can't buy smokes!

Re: Child smoking

My brother tried the same thing at around the same age, when my dad found out he sat down with him and made him chain smoke until he was sick. It worked for him, he's 48 and never smoked another cigarette in his life. Just a thought!

If he was mine however I would ask him to make a list of good things about cigarettes and a list of bad things, you can guarantee the bad will outweigh the good by a mile. It might be enough to convince him.