Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 Kids(His mine and ours)

We are having trouble with all of our kids not eating and saying they are full when they haven't ate anything just so they can go and play. We have tried making them sit there until they are done,and no snacks. but mostly it just turrns into a battle.
How do you get them to eat until they are full and when do you know when that is.

Re: 6 Kids(His mine and ours)

Hi

Children will not starve themselves - just let them get up from the table, offer NO other food till next mealtime and they will only last a little while. Include them in shopping and cooking letting them choose within reason what they buy and cook. If they have no alternative food during the day they will be hungry. The only other thing I would suggest if the toys are the currency! - they have to sit at the table till everyone who wants to eat is finished then they can leave. They may think that if they have to sit there anyway then they may as well eat.

Good luck
Fiona

Re: Re: 6 Kids(His mine and ours)

If the kids have enough energy to get up and go play, then they are eating enough. Kids' appetites change- they may not be eating now, but a month from now you can feel like they are eating you out of your house! The trick, like someone else said, is to give them absolutely nothing for snacks. Also, a good multivitamin can do wonders for an appetite.