Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2 1/2 yr old traumatised by Nursery

David

Yes I can see what you are saying and I apologise for "jumping down your throat." The thing is you could not wish to find more of a "Daddies" boy. He and his brother get an enormous amout of attention from their Dad and it is easy to see his dedication.
I understand what you say about showing him that he is not on his own in his fear and maybe joining him in it and coming out together. I will chat with my daughter and see what plan we can come up with. Thanks

Shawna
I am one step away from all this and not constantly having to deal with it as you and my daughter have. I am sure that, in the past, one of the youngsters in my extended family had a problem with a Hoover and we got over it by getting them a toy one and concentrating on the Nu Nu character in tghe teletubbies. They then had complete control over the situation and would fillow their mother around quite happily. Our problem, not that it is any worse than yours at all, is that no-one that is close to him is in control over the source of the noise. Even the teachers at the nursery were unaware that the alarm was going to go off on the second and third occasion.
I do think that it is to do with the timing as it was his very first three days at any sort of "school" and away from his Mum.
Thanks for taking the time to help, it is appreciated and I hope that your own little one gets over this phobia very soon. Have a happy Christmas.

Steve

Re: Re: 2 1/2 yr old traumatised by Nursery

Have you tried making it into a game? maybe get an egg timer with a bell and when it goes off practice walking in a line slowely outside then checking if everyone has made it out. It might sound a bit silly but you might find that once he knows what to do when he hears an alarm he might not be so scared.
My son was scared of birds (i have no idea why!) so i got a bird watching book and we checked off all the birds now when he sees one all he does is try and work out which one it is. Good luck

Re: Re: Re: 2 1/2 yr old traumatised by Nursery

Thanks Claire

I think that we might have a bit of a crazy christmas where he can make various noises and we can all pretend to be frightened. This way he will feel in control and therefore less vulnerable.
Also I am thinking of attending a Fire Station open day or some such event.

Many thanks for taking the time to make contact.

Best Wishes

Steve

Re: 2 1/2 yr old traumatised by Nursery

its strange the thing that kids latch on to!!
why not try taking him into school the next time they test the alarm and get the teacher to let him set it off for himself it might help him to see why the sound happends??

Re: Re: 2 1/2 yr old traumatised by Nursery

Thanks Debbie

I will suggest that to my daughter.

Best Regards

Steve