Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 month old won't eat!

My daughter is 6 months old and doesn't want to eat anything other than her bottle. When we started her on oatmeal and cereal she liked it a lot. Then we started giving her fruit and veggies and she didn't like it any more. She closes her mouth and won't let anything in. If we put her in her highchair and let her feed herself she will eat a little bit but mostly just smash it! Since she was born she hasn't been that great of an eater. She just started to drink 5 ounces. Also she wakes up in the middle of the night with lots of gas.(if she does eat some fruits and veggies) Do we hold off on the food another month? Do we just keep trying? Do we just give foods that she can feed herself?

Re: 6 month old won't eat!

My advice to you is whatever you don't force it. The fruits and veggies just may be too much for her little belly. Stick with the oatmeal and cereal for a little while longer. Let her eat her bottles as usual and start her again on a little oatmeal and a little cereal here and there. Then give her a month or so then one veggie or fruit a week to see how she reacts to them. Just move slowly. You're doing great!!

Re: Re: 6 month old won't eat!

Thank you so much for the advice! Her docter says she should be on stage two and she isn't even eating stage one. I will give her more time before I give her more. Thanks!
Nicole

Re: Re: Re: 6 month old won't eat!

Hi there Nicloe ...

When my kids were little a couple of them also tried to stay away from the fruits and Vegies... many times the taste is just too intense for their taste buds.

What I did to get them used to it is put a spoonful of fruits or vegies into their rice or oatmeal cereal, then after a couple of weeks I added another and so on ... it worked really well and they didn't mind eating it.

I hope it will work for you... let me know how things go

Re: Re: Re: Re: 6 month old won't eat!

Hi

My daughter was on breast milk only till about 7 months - showed no interest in food whatsoever. When she did I did as the previous advise and go slowley. You dont want to put her off the eating itself by what you are feeding her - it may lead to problems later. Both my sons were on baby rice at 5/6 weeks so it just shows how different they are. Good luck and don't worry - I reckon that as long as children are not loosing weight they are fine.

Fiona