Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
teenage son lying about his life

My son has been lying about what he does on the weekends, he has a diary on Xanga and posts that he does things he does not do. I am worried is this just the tip of the iceberg or am I over-analyzing this situation??? I thought I had a good relationship with my son. I even told him a few weeks ago that I was proud because he did not need friends to feel complete that he was comfortable in his life but, now I find out that he is unhappy with the way his life goes. He makes up things for his friends so that they think he does alot of things on the weekends that I know he does not do. We are a family of moderate income but, we do not try to keep him from doing things if we can help it, I need help!

Re: teenage son lying about his life

He sounds like he maybe a little bored and lonely, everyone needs friends!
There's no harm in "make believe" but it's obvious he's not happy!
Instead of "being proud he does not need friends to feel complete" (which he obviously does) you should be encouraging him to make friends by joining clubs or classes that he has some interests in.

He needs this kind of interaction for confidence, maybe join him up for karate its very cheap now a days (sometimes free) and is very good for childrens confidence, interaction skills and obviously self defence, and it wil give him something that he can be proud of (once he goes up in grades) maybe then that will be what you read next time on his Xanga diary!