Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
9 year old tantrum

When my 9 year old is misbehaving, I will give him a chance and tell him that he can't keep doing what he is doing. I give him a more appropriate behaviour. I will count to 2 and take his playstation away or some other privledge if he wil still not listen. But he digs his heels in every time. He ends up losing the playstation. He gets all angry and throws a fit. He will try to break things, hit the wall and throw things. What do I do? It drives me crazy. I broke one of his things once to see how he would like it but that has not worked either.

Re: 9 year old tantrum

I am replying to my own question but I have been thinking about it for a few days. I'm thinking I should help him find suitable ways to express his anger and help him through it. I don't know why no one has replied. Can anyone think ;of something that I am not?

Re: Re: 9 year old tantrum

Rather than take away the playstation can you just give him time out and see if this works better. It might make him less angry and it give the child some time to think about the behaviour.

My daughter is only 2 but I was having terrible problems with her, tantrums and aggression mainly. I cut out preservative 282 which is found in some breads, crumpets, refridgerated pasta. It took about a week to work but I saw a huge improvement in her behaviour so it might be worth a try.

Re: 9 year old tantrum

I have the same lip from my 9 year old too. Lots of 'whatever', 'bothered' etc!! My son is an angel as a rule and i am forever complimented on his behaviour. Back at home, life is rather different. If i tell him to go to his room he just says 'make me'. Nightmare! Don't know how to respond to this at all.

I have threatened to take him to the head teacher the next morning or the doctor as his behaviour is unreasonable and mummy needs help. This plays on his conscience for a while.

Not much help i'm afraid but at least you know someone else is suffering!!!

Kind regards.