Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Explaining Blended Families

I have a son who is four now. His biological father has not seen him since he was five months old. I have a husband now. My son calls him dad and to his knowledge, it is the only dad he has. I am ready to tell him about his biological father. I know how to explain to him that he has another father but I am not ready for the questios that will follow the conversation. Ex: Why has my dad not seen me....Where is he.....What is he doing. To explain why he has nothing to do with us is very difficult. The bio dads reasons are that he just does not want the responsibility of my son and he himself is married and I'm sure is going to start a family soon. If anyone can help me out with answering my son's questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Explaining Blended Families

This faces many mums and dads. And it's a tough one except to say that if you are able to say why you and your dad are not together without blame etc, and then explain that he loves you, but he's got this strange idea that by keeping away from you, it will make it ok for you -and him. So validate your boy feeling odd and even confused but make sure he does not jump the conclusion that his dad does not care, that there was something about himself that his dad did not like. Just make sure the child realises he is not the one who has been lacking and try not blame or attack his dad either.
David
David