Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fruits and veges..

My son who is just over 5 LOVES his veges, his favourite is Brussles sprouts (yuk lol)but I cook them for him anyway. He will eat almost every vegetable I put in front of him, but when it comes to fruit it is the opposite. He dislikes all fruit, even if I put it in jelly he will pick it out. The teachers at his school are hounding me to make him eat fruit, i haven't minded up until now as I know he eats so many veges but the teachers are making me feel so bad he doesn't eat fruit saying he's missing out on nutrients etc etc ... is it okay he doens't eat fruit or is there something I can do to make him eat some???
Thanks
Karen.

Re: fruits and veges..

I wouldn't worry too much, if your son is eating plenty of vegetables then he will be getting most of his nutrients and vitamins from them. Does he drink fruit juices, if so then you could make him up some drinks with any fruit. Really I don't think you have a problem it is great that he eats veggies (ps I also love brussel sprouts, I don't know why they get such a bad press!)

When I read that you are being hounded by the teachers to make him eat fruit. I did laugh a bit, I hope that is not rude. But the idea of being hounded to eat fruit by a posse of rampant, health-crazed school teachers was funny to me. I am sure it is no joke for you, because you do not want to feel bad. But I get the feeling that if your son is deficient in nutrition then I must be Elvis Presley. Which I'm not. Anyway, be a calming influence on all parties and keep shoving in the veg. Maybe you could invent an apple sprout?

Best wishes
David

Thanks for that..... the teachers have now decided to bring in fruit to promote fruit to the kids who don't eat it , now they are making him sit at the tables and won't let him leave until he has eaten it , and being very stubborn he won't eat it so sits there and misses out on play time. I went to the teacher today and got growly that he has no time to play because he gets forced to sit and eat fruit! I said 'whats' the big deal', he's not sick and is getting enough nutrients so lay off him! So today after a bit of fuss they let him go without the force of eating fruit. Last night for tea we had chicken, peas, corn, carrots and mashed potatoe and he ate them all and asked for more corn and carrots!!!
I can't ask for more than that. I feel alot better knowing there are people who like me think "so what he doesn't eat fruit - he eats his veges" .... i will try fruit drinks too, he might have those.
Thanks
Karen.

Re: Re: fruits and veges..

Great news! Well done. Your son will be made up by your support for his food regime! It has been estimated that children have to abide by average of 2000 compliance requests a day from adults. That's before we start telling them what to do!

Rules coming out of their ears from us which apply to every possible situation. So, its best to cut them some major slack when it comes to less than serious things like this. I write a lot about this sort of stuff - and my approach is very 'inner' - if you want stuff email me david@childproblem.co.uk
David

Re: Re: Re: fruits and veges..

All of society has turned completely neurotic! (My son eats brocolli until it is coming out of his ears, and will leave everything else on his plate.) Heck, half of our veggies are really FRUIT anyway. At this point, your child is probably in a power struggle with the teachers. Tell them to lay off, and that you can handle it. Then, if you really feel he needs fruit, disguise it for him in milk shakes, frozen juice bars (the 100% kind) or anything else. Cook his sweet potatoes with oranges, put pineapple rings on the ham, or stuff the chicken with apples and nuts. Put a waldorf salad on the plate. A lot of cakes can be made with apple sauce. Don't just give him a piece of fruit. It may be that his palate doesn't like anything sweet and that is fine. And once in a while, bring home something truly bizarre- starfruit, lychee, a mango... cut it up into small pieces and leave it in the fridge. He may just secretly go get himself a taste and find something he likes.