Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SICK BEFORE BED TIME

hi can anyone help?

my little girl who is two has never been the worlds best sleeper. she is just over 2

but now in the last month she throws tantrums when going to bed.

this week she manages to wait until she goes to bed and then throw up over the bed just to cause problems.

at our wits end.... any ideas

Re: SICK BEFORE BED TIME

It sounds as if your daughter is controlling bedtime and is using this 'sickness' tactic as a way of staying up longer.

I would suggest you begin by putting in place a very strict bedtime routine and do not be swayed by what your daughter's behaviour, even at 2 she may not understand why she is doing this but can not help herself.

Her routines should be
1. At about 6.30 give her a nice warm bath. Let her play with her toys and enjoy this part of the routine.
2. Teeth brushed and pyjamas on.
3. Let your daughter choose a bedtime story book (insist you read it to her once she is tucked up comfortably in bed.) Read her the story then kiss her and say goodnight.
4. Leave the room.
5. If she gets up take her back in and again tell her its bedtime/time to sleep and leave.
Keep repeating 4 and 5 until she gets the message.
IT IS VITALLY IMPORTANT YOU STAY VERY CALM AND IN CONTROL, IF YOUR DAUGHTER SEES YOU ARE GETTING UPSET OR AGITATED SHE WILL PICK UP ON THIS AND START PLAYING UP. SHE WILL TAKE THE LEAD FROM YOU!

Take care and good luck.

Re: SICK BEFORE BED TIME

I think she maybe feeling under a bit of pressure and I doubt she made herself sick just to cause problems. I guess you must be finding this tough- and maybe she is too. How do you feel?

Best wishes
David