Practical Parenting Advice Online Parenting Course

Return to Website

Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grandparents intervention with child's disciplining.

I am staying together with my own parents. My three kids were very well behaved when I am around as I am a strict mother. I reward my children whenever they are well behaved. My problem is, my parents pampered them like anything and were unhappy with me with the way I discipline my children. The children were "out of control" whenever they were under their care. My parents were very angry with me when I told them their mistakes of always "giving in " to my children. Ended up, my discipline rules go down the drain...I am currently a full time housewife and thinking of going back to work to help support the family financially but thinking of the current situation in leaving my kids under my own parents care is giving me a headache. My hubby is complaining to me as he too is unhappy with the way my parents handle my kids.I must work as our financial is very tight.1) How can I work with a peace of mind? What should I do? Are there anybody with the same situation as me?? Help!! I am very stressful!!!

Re: Grandparents intervention with child's disciplining.

I have the opposite: my mum is stricter than I am and complains I'm indulgent merely because I discipline in a less obvious way.

You could lay down a few groundrules with your parents of lines which they must make sure are never crossed, but otherwise, when your children are with their grandparents they will know that different rules apply. This does not mean that your own discipline will be undermined; children quickly learn that different people have different rules and boundaries and adapt accordingly.