Parenting Message Board

Please report abuses to AndyGill@practicalparent.org.uk

Parenting Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: sulking

Well, my boyfriend has three children (4 year old twin girls and a 7 year old boy) and he always uses that saying "accidents happen". I see many parents who get mad at their children (not saying you do) but for example: if they are trying to be a big kid and poor something into a cup and they spill, I have seen parents yell at the child. Well, he simply tells them that accident happen and teaches them how to clean it up, then explains to them that it is not okay for them to poor a something on their own and lets them know that if they do it again then they will have to take a time out...Anyways the point is maybe try reminding him that accidents do happen and its normal, for other kids and for him, even adults. I am very new to reading stuff about parenting. I have no children of my own and am only 21 also, but have taken care of my sisters four kids since they were born and many other peoples neglected children. So in some of the parenting things that I have read lately they explain how to direct stuff in more of a positive way. For example: instead of saying "you did this wrong", try saing "try it like this instead" It's hard to get used to it, and it takes a lot of patients that seems like we never have time for, but I have tried it with the three wild kids that I have been around and it seem that they dont get so mad (especially the 4 year olds) and learn a lesson better. Sorry so long, hope it helps. Oh yeah about getting off the naughty chair, did you try destracting him by letting him know he is done in time out and trying to get him to go do something he love to do. For example: okay your time out is over, now lets go color.

Re: Re: sulking

Hi . He is probably sulking to make you feel guilty!Kids learn this at a really early age.They kind of 'test' how much you love them. His pride will be hurt, but stand firm. I have a ten year old who still sulks!!